Tip of toe is numb and tingly with swelling. Also have bunion on foot. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi doctor, the tip of my left toe is numb and tingly and looks a little swollen has been for 4 weeks now, I also have a bunion on my foot is that the cause of the numbness? thankyou, deanne
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out gout first.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case,

I would like to keep possibility of gout first as per your history and symptoms.
In gout there is accumulation of uric acid crystals in joint mainly foot. This leads to swelling and redness in foot.
Another differential can be nerve compression leading to tingling and swelling.

Bunion may lead to nerve compression due stretching of tissue but extent of numbness will be less, nerve compression can be due to spinal disc bulge, you may need clinical examination to rule out causes.
I will advise to do blood inv like complete blood count ,uric acid level, if required EMG –NCV[ nerve study].

Till time take analgesic and neurotropic like methylcobalamin.
If gout is confirmed you may need medicine accordingly and diet restriction. Bunion causing discomfort need to be surgically managed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.