Tip of penis is purple. How are anal fissures and loss of blood flow in the head of the penis related?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
how are anal fissures and loss of blood flow in the head of the penis related?
tip of the penis is purple
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
We should first evaluate is this penis change casued by vascular supply disorder or not. Arterial insufficieny would cause total paleness and penis shrinkage,venous insufficiency would cause swelling. In both cases there would be pretty intensive pain. Purple penis glans can be normal and there can even be more patches of different color around the penis. These colors can vary from bright red to dark purple or whiteish. If this area is painful,itchy or there is a dicharge from penis it can be sign of infection.
Anal fissures can be related to penis blood flow,this isnt common but it is possible because rectum and anus are anatomicaly close to prostate and base of penis. Fissures can cause deep abscesses or inflammatory reactions around rectum and this can affect surrounding blood vessels. But as I said i dont think this is liekly to be in your case.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Tip of penis is purple. How are anal fissures and loss of blood flow in the head of the penis related? 49 minutes later
Can the fissures heal and then no longer restrict the surrounding blood vessels? Currently using suppositories, medicated wipes and beginning high fiber and soft food diet. I've heard that sitting in a medicated bath helps (not sure what to put in the water). Is there anything else I can do on my own to help this heal? When should I go to the doctor? Thank you.
sometimes the head of my penis is engorged/swollen when the rest of my penis is not. the parts where the purple patch are numb/no feeling. The right side of penis is normal, but the left side is not. My penis seems to be curving to the left more that it used to. sometimes I have pain at night. there are two hard spots on the left side near the urethra/on the tip...a doctor friend thought it was scar tissues. These hard spots are a little less than an inch long and seem to be growing. One of the hard spots is thicker, but I think it might have become thicker because I frequently would check it. Lots of worry about potential reproductive and sexual loss.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Hi again.
It can heal spontaneously of course. Just continue with what you do.
Include fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains in your diet, drink plenty of fluids.get some exercise every day. Take your time and do not strain when having a bowel movement.
Stool softeners or laxatives can make bowel movements more comfortable.
Sitting in a tub filled with salty warm water for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a day soothes the torn tissue and helps relax the XXXXXXX anal sphincter.
You should visit doctor if pain progress, if there is pus secretion, fever and blood in the stool and then it should be surgically managed.

About your penis issue, it can be scar tissue but the question is why is this happening. In worst case it can be something called Peyronie's disease,but any injury in childhood or during the sexual intercourse could cause it as well. It would be easier if you post some photos. Also in most cases this is just natural pigmentation and tingling with numbness can be found in healthy people.
Of course infection and STD must be ruled out so do swab and smear tests because certain microbes and fungi cause similar penis changes.