Ask a Dentist   »  

Tiny, white spots on tip of tongue

I have tiny white spots (about two or three) on the tip of my tongue.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
There are many things which can cause white spots on tongue such as:
1)Leukoplakia:In this white patches develop in the mouth including tongue.It usually develops due to irritation as in people eating tobacco.
2)Thrush:It is a yeast infection in white patches and can develop after taking a course of antibiotics.
3)Vitamin deficiency,poor oral hygiene is also a cause.
4)Some rare conditions in which colour of the tongue changes are scarlet fever,Kawasaki fever.

I would probably link it to poor oral hygiene.
Drink lots of water.

Clean the tongue with Tongue scraper or with toothbrush itself.

Avoid smoking and caffeinated drinks as tea and coffee.
Have lots of yoghurt in diet.

If the spots are persistent then you might consider visiting a dentist for examination of the oral cavity to rule out any infection.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.