Tiny itchy bumps that blanch when pressed randomly appeared on arms, knees, sides of faces. Cure ?

My daughter woke up Sunday, XXXXXXX 24th with a small cirlce-ish area red with several small bites or bumps in the middle. They appeared white-ish. After some anti-itch cream they disapperead. Throughout the day random teeny tiny bumps randomly showed up on her arm, under arm pits, knees, several on side of face. After a nap the side of her face that was lying on the pillow was red and irritated. Also there are a cluster of three red dots on the back of her leg, one on back of knee cap and another on back of XXXXXXX The teeny tiny dots still appear transiently. She will say a spot itches and then I will see one of the tiny bumps/dots. They blanch when pressed. The only dots that still remain after 24 hours are the ones on the back of her leg. I have been to the pediatrician and he thinks the bites on the back of her leg are fleas but is unsure of the tiny dots/bites that appear randomly. I am very worried. I did give her bendryl last night and it seemed to help her sleep without itching. What could this be and how do I fix it?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later

The appearance of the lesions is very much suggestive of an insect bite- maybe she got bitten at multiple sites.

The explanation of new lesions appearing and disappearing is that some patients have a hypersensitivity reaction to insect saliva and develops crops of hives and erythema.

We need to know the nature of bite for sure and an antihistaminic drug will be quite helpful. The need for a transient steroid treatment is warranted. It can be decided upon by an expert dermatologist.

In any case it must subside in coming 4-5 days with the treatment, if not then please let me know with fresh photos.

I think that answered you query. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Follow-up: Tiny itchy bumps that blanch when pressed randomly appeared on arms, knees, sides of faces. Cure ? 6 hours later
Should I take her to see a dermatologist? Will it clear up on it's own? How long will this last? This is day three of the bites and itching.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
If it is day 3 and the rash has not started decreasing then the insect must be there to bite her afresh and it must be on her body itself- I must say a strong possibility is Scabies caused by a parasite Sarcoptes scabei although it is a rarity in the USA.
Please review with the Dermatologist and boil the clothes and bedsheets which your child used recently in water and dry them in scorching sunlight with inside out to kill the parasite over there in the seams.
Take Care!