Tinnitus, sore throat and bones, sore glands in neck, tiredness. Due to cat allergy?

ENT Specialist
I've had sinus surgery,( removed polyps and straightened septum) & in office ballon. My breathing is great .. No congestion...did allergy test and found allergic to cats.. ( we have 4) my complaints are titinitus, sore throat, ache and worse constantly feeling like I've got flu.. Sore bones, sore glands in neck and always tired...
My question... If I'm not sneezing, no watery eyes, no congestion could my discomfort still be from the cat allergy. Also if I go away from the house.. Away from the cats...How long would it be before I'd feel better ( if the cats are the culprit) .. And can this tititnus be caused by the cat allergy??? I'm on two nasal sprays, taking Benadryl, nothing seems to help...
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have mentioned could be related to both sinuses and acid reflux disease.

Nasal allergy can cause inflammation over the nasal end of the Eustachian tube inducing negative pressure in the middle ear and trapping of the middle ear secretions. This could be the reason behind the tinnitus in the ears.

Similarly, retained secretions in the sinuses and trickling of the same down into the throat, can cause soreness of the throat and the sense of flu.

Finally, acid reflux from the stomach into the throat can also cause sore throat and sore glands.

Could you please let us know what type of sprays are you using so that we can help you in a better way.

At this point, my advice to you is to stop Benadryl, and follow the instructions accordingly.
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the tinnitus.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for throat pain.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon