Tinnitus in both ears after taking zithromax. Audiometric tests, pressure values all ok. Can take augmentin? Tinnitus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have a continuos tinnitus from both ears that began 3 month ago after 2 doses of Zithromax. Audiometric exams and ear visit was ok, pressure values are ok, cardiologic visit ok.
Can now take augmentin and which kind of exams I have to make to discover tinnitus causes?
thank you
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Tinnitus persisting for 3months with normal ENT examination could be due to side effect of the antibiotics you took earlier. It is better to avoid taking Augmentin for few days till the cause for tinnitus is established.
It can be due to ear or nose infections, trauma, fluid or wax in ears, respiratory infections etc. Since it has been increasing and is persistent with time it requires a careful evaluation.
Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions:
1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake.
2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears.
4) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily.
5) Do not take any medications as Aspirin as they can increase the ringing sound.
6) Eat fresh Pineapple in the diet as it reduces inflammation if any.
Consulting a neurologist can help in detecting the cause.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.