Tingling sensation on face,sex with HIV positive person,peripheral neuropathy?

7 weeks ago I had sex with a guy who I have since found out is rumoured to be HIV positive.
About 5 days later I developed an intermittent 'spider tingling' sensation mostly on my face. It is never there all the time but neither has it gone away after 6 weeks.
I have consulted several specialists and they have all said that it has nothing to do with HIV. However, I have just read about something called 'peripheral neuropathy' which is apparently one of the neurological symptoms of HIV and causes 'numbness, tingling or burning in the feet, hands or face'. Should I be concerned or am I just being a worry wart? I have no other abverse symptoms.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 43 minutes later

Every act of unprotected sex - does not lead to HIV infection.

First, the chances that the concerned person was indeed HIV positive is a point to be determined.

The risk of HIV infection is high with unprotected intercourse with partner of unknown HIV status, risky sexual behavior, multiple sexual partners, IV drug use, and association with other STDs.

HIV is detected by serological studies , and not by evaluation of symptoms , which most of the time are highly nonspecific.

Signs of peripheral neuropathy are seen in the 3rd stage of HIV infection (AIDS complex). Hence there is no need to be concerned that you definitely have HIV Infection.

First and foremost, let me explain the onset of symptoms of HIV.

The symptoms of HIV and AIDS vary, depending on the phase of infection.

Within the first few weeks
When first infected with HIV, you may have no signs or symptoms at all, although you're still able to transmit the virus to others. Many people develop a brief flu-like illness two to four weeks after becoming infected.

Signs and symptoms may include: Fever, Headache, Sore throat, Swollen lymph glands, Rash

You may remain symptom-free for years.
But as the virus continues to multiply and destroy immune cells, you may develop mild infections or chronic symptoms such as: Swollen lymph nodes , Diarrhea, Weight loss, Fever, Cough and shortness of breath

If you receive no treatment for your HIV infection, the disease typically progresses to AIDS in about 10 years. By the time AIDS develops, your immune system has been severely damaged, making you susceptible to opportunistic infections — diseases that wouldn't trouble a person with a healthy immune system.

The signs and symptoms of some of these infections may include: Soaking night sweats, Shaking chills or fever higher than 100 F (38 C) for several weeks, Cough and shortness of breath , Chronic diarrhea, Persistent white spots or unusual lesions on your tongue or in your mouth, Headaches , Persistent, unexplained fatigue, Blurred and distorted vision , Weight loss, Skin rashes or bumps.

In your case, though the chances of infection might be very less, but getting tested to get over your anxiety will be helpful.

A person after exposure to HIV can get tested as early as 4 weeks to 12 weeks with the ELISA for HIV antibody test. If a test is done at 12 weeks after exposure, and it is negative and there is no need to repeat the test again.

I hope this helps.