Tingling sensation near belly button. Why is it smelling and red?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I've been having this weird feeling a little to the right of my belly button. It's not painful, just annoying tingling feeling. I don't know if this is related, but my belly button is smelling, itching, and there's a red ring on the inside.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query
Belly button is often neglected and not cleaned regularly. Some dirt can accumulate in it and predispose to infection. It is also prone to contact dermatitis.
I would suggest you to keep the area clean and dry. If still persistent then consult a dematologist
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Tingling sensation near belly button. Why is it smelling and red? 4 minutes later
Yes but what about the annoying feeling I have in my abdomen a couple inches to the right of my belly button? I wasn't sure if my itchy belly button had anything to do with that.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 48 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the clarification
If the feeling is a superficial one then it could be related to the umbilical pathology.
If it is a XXXXXXX seated one then either it is an unrelated small bowel problem or a reflection of the umbilical lesion. Getting an ultrasound abdomen and stool routine examination on three consecutive days may help
Dr XXXXXXX