Tingling sensation along right side face,3-4 times daily,sensation when bent down

ENT Specialist
I have been experiencing a tingeling sensation along the right side of my face for about 3 weeks now. The feeling comes and goes in waves about 3-4 times daily. It is the same type of pins and needles feeling you experience before your hand or foot goes to sleep. Although it can happen anytime, it most certainly will do this if I have been bent with my head down maybe to pick up an item, buckle my kids in the car, etc. There doesn't seem to be any other symptoms - no pain, fever, etc. Any advice to what could be causing this issue?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Thank You for your query.

The Tigeminal Nerve supplies sensations to half the face and this nerve may be irritated by Dental or Sinus Infection. This would explain why it occurs or worsens with your head bent downwards.

The other cause for such one sided tingling or 'parasthesia' would be a local blood circulation problem. However, it is not possible to check this from a neck doppler study alone. It will require an M R Angiography, in addition.

If there are no accompanying symptoms such as dizziness, visual disturbances, headache (Migraine), in-co-ordination (MS), slurred speech (TIA), tingling numbness on the tongue or other side of your body (Wallenberg Syndrome), you may not have to bother about treatment. It should subside on it's own.

You must see a neurologist if the sensations worsen. Medication for Trigeminal neuralgia is available but must be taken only under medical supervision. Also remember that hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies such as B12 may be responsible.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.