Tingling, pain, swelling in joints, numbness on top of finger post accident. Will splinting help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Four weeks ago, I fell into a steel bar breaking my fall with my left hand, namely jamming my pinky into the bar. The finger was immediately very painful. Tingling, pain, swelling and red bruising occurred around the joints; although, since I was overseas, I did not seek treatment. I attempted to elevate it to keep the swelling down and this did appear to reduce the tingling and numbness around the top of my finger. The redness has now disappeared, but the finger is still slightly swollen with no distortion to the nail bed, but a bit stiff when I flex my finger and still painful at times. The distal phalenx joint is sore when I press on it. Is there any point in splinting it at this point or should I simply wait a bit longer for it to heal?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later

Painful distal phalanx four weeks after the injury needs evaluation for fracture and joint dislocation to be ruled out before attributing the pain to a tendon injury.

You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician, who can examine you, and order an X-ray or MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.

Splinting now will definitely help in reducing pain and swelling and will help in healing if any fractured fragment is not significantly displaced.

Meanwhile, doing hot fomentation and avoiding any movement with the finger will be helpful.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.