Tingling, numbness, pain in neck and back, Maxgalin and Maprosyn ineffective, MRI, NCS normal. What approach to take?

I am having electric sensations or tingling sensation while standing or sitting in a particular position for long time where some part is pressured a little more.As an example when i am riding two wheeler for more than 5 min my palms will start having electric sensations and i have to shake the palms to have them back to normal.As these symptoms started a long back and due to the lack of diagnosis it became worse now and i am having the same sensation in the head now while sleeping and my sleep is also getting affected.The medications i took (Maxgabalin and Naprosyn) didnt helped.As my MRI,NCS tests were normal ,Please suggest how i should approach now.These problem has started before three years and continue to getting worse.Please help me in this regard and tell me what are the tests i should take to get all the details.Also from past three moths i started getting severe back and neck pain.

Thanks you.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your symptoms are related to nerve compression which causes tingling and numbness. Pain in neck and back are associated with it.
Your symptoms are suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level and at lumbar spine level due to degenerative disc changes or ankylosing spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the spine. Past spinal injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck and spine in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Bed rest and immobilization of affected part brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical and back isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the muscles. Neck and back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Tingling, numbness, pain in neck and back, Maxgalin and Maprosyn ineffective, MRI, NCS normal. What approach to take? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the reply.I have recently done xray for my lower back and neck and both came normal.Doctor suggested me to do physiotherapy related exercises.I am doing morning walk everyday but the problem still exists.I have done MRI and NCS two times one year back and they appeared normal.Doctor told that time that my problem is a psychological problem and i have to consult some psychologist.But when i have physical symptoms how can i ignore the and also it is getting more worse each day.It all started from the left leg when i felt strange sensations for few days after that it went to whole left part of my body.Please suggest me where i can do the treatment for this,I live in Bangalore.Is there any test which tells the Nerve compressions in the body.Also if it is something related to depression or anxiety how can i control that.Let me know if any information you want from me which may help you to identify the problem better.

Thanks a lot,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You are having nerve compression symptoms. X-rays are not able to detect the early changes. MRI of spine will be helpful in diagnosis.
Consult an orthopedician for prescription of appropriate medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.