Tingling, numbness in lower abdomen radiating to groin, lower back pain, sharp sternum pain. Cause?

I am having some tingling/numbness pain in my lower left abdomen above the belt line with pain radiating down towards the groin at times. It also on ocassion moves to the right side. It is accompanied by lower back pain as well. it is not tender to the touch. I am also encountering some occasional sharp pain left of the sternum up in the pectoral region.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thank you for sharing your health concerns.

The symptoms you have are suggestive of a peripheral nerve issue, given the description of the sensation and the radiation. Particularly, compression of the obturator nerve (a deep nerve in the pelvic area) can give both discomfort at the lower abdominal level, as well as radiated to the groin.

My best advise would be to see a physician who can perform a detailed examination, with focus on a complete neurological exam (including deep tendon reflexes) and determine if a pinched nerve is indeed causing your discomfort.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best health, blessings.

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN