Tingling, numbness in fingers, damage in ulnar nerve, bruises on left forearm. wants to do EMG, EEG test. Symptoms of ulnar nerve ?

General Surgeon
Hello.. my neurologist diagnosed the tingling, numbness in my left pinky and ring finger as damage to my Ulnar nerve.. I am going for an EMG and EEG testing next week, but now I see bruises on my left forearm. Is this a symptom of this conditiion?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later

Thanks for a quite interesting query.     

The ulnar nerve provides sensory innervation to the little finger and the medial half of the ring finger, and the corresponding part of the palm of the same hand.

The ulnar nerve can be trapped or pinched as it proceeds from its origin from the brachial plexus to the fingertips.

One commonest cause is cubital tunnel syndrome. In this syndrome, a tunnel on the medial side of the elbow traps or compresses the nerve.

Pinching of the ulnar nerve often causes paraesthesiae (tingling) in the ring finger and little finger .

Temporary paraesthesiae can be caused by bad posture during sleeping or poor posture while placing weight on one's arm, or by cycling for extended periods of time. In severe cases, surgery is required to release the nerve from entrapment or pinching .

Severe entrapment or complete severing of the ulnar nerve can present clinically as an ulnar claw, and this can be diagnosed by clinical tests, known as card test, Froment's sign.

EMG & EEG help in location of damage and confirmation of diagnose & possibility of recovery .

Bruises can occur due to many reasons. nerve injury is also one.

Hope EMG & EEG will help in reaching the diagnosis & planning treatment .

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”