Tingling legs, no pain, redness or warmth, feels like things moving, taking birth control, have breakthrough bleeding

About a month ago I started getting I guess tingling in both of my lower legs. Feels like things moving. There is no pain redness or warmth. The only medication i am on is a very low dose birth control. I am 56 with no knowledge of any other problems. I am on the continous pill which I have breakthru bleeding every 3 months which can be very heavy. My gynecoligist is having me take a blood test to check menopause and my thyroid. The leg tingling did not correspond with a period.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The symptoms what you are reporting are very suspicious for what we refer to as peripheral neuropathy. These sensations can be caused by a number of different things.

And the different possible causes include, medications, fluctuations in blood sugar as well as fluctuations or limitations in blood flow to the lower extremities.

In order to accurately determine the possible cause it would certainly be prudent for you to have some blood work performed.

I think a complete blood count as well as a complete metabolic profile should be ordered.

In particular interest on the metabolic profile would be your blood glucose. If your blood sugar is moderately elevated it can lead to the sensations which you are experiencing. If there is any family history of diabetes. This would also be something which I would be more suspicious as a cause.

Regarding your blood count it would be important to make sure that your hemoglobin level is adequate.

The last category which should be explored would be the blood flow to your lower extremities.

Your doctor can evaluate this with special vascular studies. These vascular studies are simple procedures which are done with a ultrasound machine. If there is limitation of blood flow through the arteries or veins of your lower extremities it could explain some of the symptoms you are experiencing.

I would like to thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be adequate and informative. I realize there are several things here what you need to think about but I think a healthy discussion with your primary care physician will get you to the bottom of the issue.

If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert