Tingling feeling and pain under the rib cage after the shoulder surgery. Symptoms worsen after eating. Gall bladder removal surgery done. Cure?

Question
I have had a tingling feeling (pins and needles) under my right rib cage for 6 weeks. It started after shoulder surgery as a sharp pain for about 2 weeks, then eased off to a tingling feeling throughout the day. My gallbladder was removed many years ago. No acid reflux. Seems to be more irritated after eating. I have searched many sites, but no answers. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
A tingling feeling under the right rib cage might be due to a minor nerve entrapment or damage and the paresthesias are being referred to the chest wall.
Nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself. The best way to assess for this may be an MRI which can look at the soft tissues of the shoulder and spine including muscles and nerve roots. Most likely this is due to a minor nerve root compression at the spinal level.

I realize you are dealing with frustrating symptoms. I hope you are able to continue a good exchange of information with your PCP who can coordinate a continued workup in order to provide you the help you need.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Tingling feeling and pain under the rib cage after the shoulder surgery. Symptoms worsen after eating. Gall bladder removal surgery done. Cure? 23 hours later
I was given a similar answer by by obgyn and I feel comfortable with knowing maybe we are on the right track, but I have not ever experienced this feeling until after surgery. I had a nerve block just prior to surgery, that the doctor seemed to be having trouble giving me prior to being knocked out. My back doesn't hurt, but when I push on the location of the tingling, the tingling feeling travels to my back. What area, or nerve in the shoulder would be linked to the back and the tingling? (I did not injure my back, only my shoulder) That was my second surgery. First one repaired a bicep tendon tear.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Your problem seems to be related to your back. It is just a coincidence that you felt the symptoms after your surgery. An injury in the back is not necessary. Sometimes minor age related degenerative changes in the spine are also responsible for these.
A thorough examination and MRI of spine will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.