Tingling and swollen lips. Noticed redness after using cortizone 10 cream. Should I consult dermatologist?

My lips tingle and swell. I've tried all lip balms, some sting. My lips have been like this now for several months. They throb and feel like they r swelling. They burn sometime. I'm trying cortizone 10 cream on them now. I wake up all night having to put lip balm on or my lips feel like they are going to bust. I have redness around outside edges of lips sometimes. Should I go see dermatologist.
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
Your lip tingling and swelling could be due to
1) angioedema
2) allergic reaction to some lip balm, lipstick, some specific food.

I would like to know
1)since how long are you having it
2) if the swelling subsides spontaneously or has been persistent
3)if the swelling is associated with swollen tongue or breathing problem
Uploading an image of the concerned area would be helpful.

In the meanwhile continue with steroid cream and also take an oral antiallergic like cetirizine etc.

A consultation with a dermatologist is encouraged as you might need a course of prescription drugs including oral steroids and oral anti allergics.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.