Tingling above ear and small lump on neck. Is it a swollen lymph? Sinus? Allergy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm in great health, 33, and only go to the doctor yearly for my GYN check up. But a few weeks ago I went to the doctor because I had some pretty consistent tingling in and above my ear..and I found a small lump on my neck. They did an MRI and it ended up being just a swollen lymph. But they did find a small cyst..what they said they are pretty sure is a Thornwaldt cyst. They wanted to do another MRI of my head and my neck with the color but I didn't do them. I don't want to do them if they are not necessary. Well, now the back of my eyes are super sore when I look around. People are telling me it's sinus pressure from the bad allergy season. It's been about 4 days now and I took some over the counter sinus stuff but no change. Should I be worried it's this cyst thing??? I never get sick and I have never had allergy problems in the past so I don't know what or if it's allergy stuff or this cyst thing.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Do you have frequent headaches, blurring of vision ? Do the headaches increase in intensity during the day ? Are they headaches pulsatile or throbbing in nature ?

Do you have constant running nose and sometimes blockage of one or both nostrils spontaneously ? What is the colour of the discharge if present ?

A Thornwaldt cyst is a benign midline cyst seen in the nose. It can be caused due to fluid accumulation and can cause nose blockage or halitosis. It is not of concern in those without any symptoms but since you do have nasal symptoms it may need to be considered.

Since it is spring time there is high chance for allergic attack. It can cause running nose, blockage of nose, headaches, eye pain, eye watering, heaviness of head, drowsiness etc. If you have these symptoms it could be an allergic reaction to pollen and other airborne allergens which are rampant during spring time.

Since the radiologists wanted to do a colour MRI, they may suspect a lesion of the blood vessels which may be pressing on the eyes and nasal area and causing the symptoms. If they insist on doing the scan, kindly do comply.

You can take over the counter anti-histamines and also do steam inhalation thrice a day for best relief. If no relief, you can apply Xylometazoline nasal drops under medical supervision which will reduce swelling inside the nose and allow smooth drainage of the sinuses and thus relieve sinus pressure to some extent. Avoid going out near parks or areas of air pollution as much as possible to avoid attacks. It would be best to consult an ENT Specialist for treating this disorder.

Eat healthy. Exercise daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.