Tinea cruris,taken fluconazole,need advice to take nizoral, its dosage and effectiveness

Question
CAN NIZRAL TABLETS BE USED TO TREAT TINEA CRUSIS IF YES THE DOSAGE OF NIZRAL TABLET .I HAVE TINEA CRUSIS FROM LAST 3 MONTHS .MY AGE IS 43 .MY FRIEND TOLD ME TO TAKE NIZRAL 200 MG FOR 15 DAYS .i have taken flucanazole 150 mg once a week for last 6 weeks
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query

Tinea cruris causes itching and irritation in the groin and genital region.It is a form of fungal infection and if left untreated can spread to surrounding region and if proper treatment is not taken it keeps on recurring.
The preferred treatment for it will be an antifungal cream such as Cotrimazole. Please see a Dermatologist for complete examination and get treated accordingly.

Sometimes application of one topical antifungal is not sufficient and a combination of two and more antifungals are needed until the itch disappears.
One has to continue application for 2 weeks after the itch disappears.

The other causes for persistence like leaving the treatment in between, treatment resistance, co-existing dermatitis, diabetes etc also needs to be ruled out.
Kindly avoid self medication.
Some measures:

1)Wash the underwear in an antibacterial solution after washing.

2)Keep the area dry as dampness can proliferate the infection.

3)Do not share the towel and other used garments of anyone.

4)Increase yoghurt in diet.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.

Follow-up: Tinea cruris,taken fluconazole,need advice to take nizoral, its dosage and effectiveness 1 hour later
i am taking nizral tablet 200 mg once a day for last 10 days .kindly advise me now what to do. should i stop it or take it for another 5,6 days .kindly advise . thanking you . XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up.

Nizoral tablets contain Ketoconazole which is mainly used for Candidiasis.

Mainly a topical antifungal or a combination of medications is required for your treatment.

Kindly see a Dermatologist for evaluation and avoid taking the medication without doctor's prescription.

Wishing you Good Health.

Regards.

madam this is a request to you ,kindly advise me a gynaecologist in west delhi for my wife who has some problem. thanking you XXXXXXX mobile 0000

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing again.

You can visit Mata Chanan XXXXXXX hospital or Bensups Hospital.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW .

Hope it helps!

Wish you good health.