Tilted septum of nose, decreased breathing capacity, eyesight, and hearing. Is it due to deviated septum?

ENT Specialist
Septum of my nose is tilted to right side of the nostrils. I had consulted a doctor and X-ray was taken. My right nostril can breathe only to 15 to 20 % of its capacity due to the deviated septum. During these days, also the eyesight of my right eye and hearing capacity of right ear declined. Is the deviated septum making such side effects on my right side of the body parts. I am planning to have a Septoplasty in near future. But will the septoplasty clear my breathing (i.e will I be able to breathe properly through both nostrils) and will the eyesight and hearing capacity of my right eye and ear become normal. It will be thankful if I get a prompt reply on this, including name of the doctor.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have deviated nasal septum and you will need surgical intervention.
Deviated nasal septum affects nasal respiration and can also cause impaired ventilation of sinuses leading to sinusitis. Besides this, the problem of ear blockade can be explained because of throat - at the posterior end of nose in nasopharynx- part of throat at the back of nose). This is quite common in patients of septal deviation. The problem of eyesight can be explained if you have one of the complications of sinusitis. However this is an uncommon complication.
I would suggest you a Complete blood count, CT scan of Paranasal sinuses and a X XXXXXXX of Paranasal sinuses and plan for a ENT consultation. I would further advise you an ophthalmic check -up to rule out other common causes of diminution of vision.
One these investigations are there we can think of the treatment options -- If there is no other issue (like sinusitis). Septoplasty is the answer. If you have associated sinusitis it will require endoscopic sinus surgery in addition to septoplasty.
For ear problem you will also require a tympanometry and a audiometry to assess your hearing and middle ear ventilation. If there is some finding in these reports, It needs to be treated
I cannot comment on the results of surgery performed by another surgeon. However if the task is done well the results are good.
I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you have any other query regarding this problem
With regards,
Ravinder Sharma