Tightness in throat around adams apple, pain under 2nd rib left side. What should I do ?

ENT Specialist
Question
I think / hope I have mono ...I am currently waiting for my health insurance to kick in . About 8 months ago I felt tightness in my throat around my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and a slight pressure in my eats . Since then it comes and goes sometimes worse than others . I notice it mostly at night when I'm laying down . in the past week I've been starting to have an aching feeling under my 2nd rib left side . Health insurance was supposed to kick in last week but up on calling them to inquire they said they would get back to me . Not sure what to do next the ache in my rib is getting worse . by no means am I in pain but I'm starting to get scared. what should I do?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

On the basis of the information provided, it seems you have a disease affecting your pharynx (throat), costal cartilages, lungs or heart. Possible causes include recurrent attacks of tonsillitis, costochondritis (inflammation of costal cartilage), pleuritis (inflammation of lung covering) or a disease of heart (Congestive heart failure). Infectious mononucleosis is LESS likely, but this cannot be ruled out without a physical examination.

1. Do you experience?
- Pain in abdomen
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Fever
- Palpitation
- Breathlessness
- Cough with expectoration

2. Have you noticed blood in your sputum (if any)?
3. Have you ever been treated for any chronic illness involving chest or airway?
4. Have you tried any treatment for the above mentioned problem?

Please get back to me with the answers to above mentioned questions so that I can help you further.

With warm regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Tightness in throat around adams apple, pain under 2nd rib left side. What should I do ? 13 hours later
to answer your questions . I am as of 2 weeks ago noticing a dramatic lack of energy and diziness I guess you could call it slight breathlessness. maybe a slight difficulty swallowing. I have also felt soreness I'm glands in the back of my head and behind the ears .
answers no to 2 3 and 4 .
thank you for your input . looking forward to your further input.

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 8 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the input.

On the basis of the information provided it appears to be an acute infection in throat (could be viral of bacterial) and possibly pharynx or tonsils causing pain in throat, difficulty in swallowing and breathlessness. The soreness in glands is also a part of this disease process.

Infectious mononucleosis (IM) is a viral infection of throat causing similar symptoms. It is difficult to clinically differentiate "IM" from any ordinary viral infection without investigation. You will require spot test, blood counts and examination of throat to confirm or rule out IM. Hence I encourage you to consult an ENT surgeon near your locality and get the aforementioned tests.

Please stay away from contact sports - as Mono can also cause enlargement of spleen in abdomen and there is risk of rupture of spleen on trivial trauma.

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if anything else is required in this regard.

Wish you good health

Best Regards
Dr. Ravinder Sharma