Tightness in throat. Taking prilosec for GERD. What could be done?

Over the last week I have been dealing with a tightness feeling in my throat. The feeling comes and goes. There is never any pain just a sensation of tightness. I suffer from GERD and started taking prilosec for the last 4 days. In addition, due to allergies/nost nasal drip, I am also taking flonase for the last 4 days. Is there anything else I should be doing that might help? I am tempted to try claritin to help. I have been noticing a fair amount of clear mucus when I clear my throat. Again, no pain, no blood, just a tightness sensation in the middle of my throat.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 days later
Brief Answer:
additionally use saline gargle and decongestants

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
You have a postnasal drip and also GERD back ground.
These two factors are working added to each other to cause the symptoms.
The GERD creates a sensitive esophagus due to acid reflux and inflammation and the postnasal drip and repeated throat clearing causes local muscle to go into spasm to produce a feeling of tightness.
You should not self medicate antibiotics.
You should use saline gargles and decongestant and antiallergic medicines to get additional relief.
The current medicines should be continued.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.