Tightness in kneecap, done P90-X type workouts for 8 months

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been doing P90-X type workouts for 8 months. Over the last couple of weeks, I've experienced a tightness/full feeling in the front of my knee - around and below the kneecap. Any idea what this is?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 28 hours later

Thanks for asking the question.

The Power90 xtreme or P90X seems to be working fine for many people and has taken the market by storm. This program is designed for a period of 90 days only. You must be doing the 'muscle confusing' part a little longer than expected and it also requires sound monitoring by an expert.

What I'm trying to say is that there is some physical activity you are doing that causes the intra articular pressure of the knee to rise. The load of which is borne by your quadriceps (group of 4 muscles in the front side of thigh which insert 10cm below the knee cap).

The feeling of fullness could mean collection of fluid in the joint. If you notice swelling or redness over the knee, you need immediate medical attention. If it is just a feeling of fullness without swelling, then it could be a ligament sprain or just a simple muscle fatigue.

In any case, you need to discontinue the exercises for some time and follow these simple instructions-
1. Take rest for a week, with knee in a straight posture and a small pillow below the knee.
2. Ice fomentation twice a day.
3. Apply a crepe bandage or put a knee cap for added support and stability.
4. Do not climb stairs or walk uphill.
5. Do not perform any activity that requires you to bend the knees.

If your knee hurts, then take Good luck.