Tightness in chest when breathing deeply. Should I worry ?

I started having tightness in my chest when i breathe deeply. It started when I was doing dome cardio exercises. Is this something I should have checked right away.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

From the symptoms that you have mentioned,it looks like muscle strain due to exercises but I would suggest you to get a cardiac check up done first of all to rule out any cardiac cause as any chest pain/tightness is cardiac in origin unless proved otherwise. You need to get an electrocardiogram, blood tests (cardiac markers), cardiac stress testing and stress ECHO done to rule out any cardiac cause of this tightness and chest pain.

Secondly it can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) that can cause such chest tightness and mimics a heart condition. Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down or exercising. You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.

Thirdly any lung causes or even smoking can cause chest tightness. If you are a smoker then this possibility also should be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.