Tightness in chest, breathlessness. Episodes of tachycardia. Elevated blood pressure. Cardiac tests normal. Any other reasons?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have weakness & sensation of pressure in the chest - I have had extensive heart tests & shows the heart is very healthy - good beat & flow. My blood pressure has been spiking - goes to 195 & then down - average is relatively hi for me - usually about 115 now averaging 140. Doctor put me on low dose blood pressure medicine 20 mg & also had a holter monitor which show a few tactcardia episodes. I had a tactcardia episode while in the hospital, so also take 20 mg of propanalol. I am now in the process of doing a 24 hr. urine test as well as having a sceduled renal sonogram. I just don't understand the seakness & breathlessness I have & the sensations of tightness in the chest.

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Tightness in chest and shortness of breath can be a sign of several medical conditions, related mainly to the heart and lungs. The first thing that needs to be ruled out is heart attack or cardiac ischaemia for which you are undergoing an evaluation.
The other causes can be allergy, asthma, bronchitis, pulmonary congestion, pulmonary hypertension, emphysema, pleurisy, etc.
Tests like tests X-ray and CT scan of the chest, blood tests, pulmonary function test, ECG, echocardiography, etc are needed to find out the cause. The treatment will vary depending on the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.