Tightening sensation under the breast. No lumps. Causes?

Question
I have a tightening sensation under my right breast, feels like where by breast meets my ribs, is there for a second then goes again. Thought it felt like a muscle contracting, but now I'm not sure. There are no lumps in the breast, it looks completely normal.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 4 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You seem to be experiencing tightening of your right breast, and there does not seem to be any lump present too.

I would like to know few details before answering your question.
1. Have you undergone any breast implant?
2. Are you pregnant?
3. Do you have any breathing difficulty?

It most probably seems to be muscle tightening due to certain mineral deficiencies like sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. You could get your blood tested for any deficiency in these minerals. If present you could take supplements or increase this in your diet.

Sometimes, it will be seen in those who undergo breast implantation, these are known as capsular contractures. If you have undergone, you will need to contact your surgeon regarding this. It will also be seen in those who are pregnant.

I suggest that you try the following measures.
1. Increase fluid intake or body hydration.
2. Applying heat to your affected area will also help you.
3. Daily exercising and stretching will prevent this form of sensations.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Tightening sensation under the breast. No lumps. Causes? 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply. I am not pregnant, nor haver either breast implants or trouble breathing. I have felt these sensations on and off for a year, but when they first started they were quite painful, now they are not painful, and if I don't think about it I seem to notice them less, they don't hurt in any way though. A good description would be like a rubber band tightening for a second and then releasing. Always in the same spot though. It also apparently started after using a rowing machine at the gym. I will try your suggestions and thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 14 hours later

Thanks for the follow up and also for the additional information provided.

You have apparently got this pain after using a rowing machine at the gym. It comes on and off throughout the past one year.

Sometimes when you start exercising or stretching after a gap you will feel this sensations.

Exercise daily and apply hot fomentation to the area if you feel this sensation. It will decrease in a short while.

Take multivitamins daily and also increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables in case you have any mineral deficiencies.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.