Tight muscles, lump on neck, bone cysts. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just went to the chiropractor because I've had tight muscles/lump on the left side of my neck along the spine at the base of the skull. He took x-rays. He saw a mass along the neck which he feels is a bone cyst. He has recommended a CT scan for follow up. What are the possible explanations for this mass other than a bone cyst? I've had lab work done once or twice a year over the past couple of years. Nothing has ever altered my doctor. How concerned should I be? Even reading about bone cysts has me worried. Do you have any recommendations for following up on this tentative diagnosis? I am a 53 year old female, 5' 6", 133 pounds. I did have a whiplash about a year ago, and the location of this mass is in the area where the pain was the greatest after the whiplash.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later

Please don't worry. There are a number of causes of cyst in the neck bone. They could be benign or malignant. Every cyst has its own characteristic appearance. I don't wanna scare you enlisting the causes of bone cysts as a vertebral cyst is purely a radiological diagnosis and its difficult to comment based on the history and clinical findings.

So, it would be helpful if you mail me the X-rays and preferably CT-scan. Kindly lemme know what other symptoms you have too.

Please mail them to me at YYYY@YYYY ATTN 'Sangeet'.

I am keen to follow you up. Please write back.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.