Tight lower left back, vibrating sensation in tail bone. Does this indicate pinched nerve from the discs ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I had an MRI in my 20's on my back after a car accident and was told i have 3 buldging disks in my lower back. They bother me off and on (i'm 38 now) but I rode in my Mom's new car the other day for about 6 hours and the next day my lower left back was very tight and sore I also noticed a vibrating sensation in my tail bone and spine (don't know if thats considered tingling or not) almost like a faint cell phone vibration...It feels like it comes on and shuts off... as I'm sitting here typing this I felt it for a few seconds and it stops... Does this possibly indicate a pinched nerve from the disks?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The vibrating sensation in the tail bone is suggestive of a pinched nerve due to bulging discs which has been aggravated by a poor posture during the travel.
An MRI of the spine will be helpful in detecting the extent of nerve root compression the bulging discs are causing.
For symptomatic relief, following measures will be helpful-
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
You can start taking methylcobalamin and Vitamin B complex supplements for relief.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective.
Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Tight lower left back, vibrating sensation in tail bone. Does this indicate pinched nerve from the discs ? 25 minutes later
Thank you very much! I was trying to google the symptom and came up with MS! I knew it wasn't MS though but because I have ocd I was a "tad" freaked out....I really need to stop Googling symptoms; self diagnosis is not good! lol
My friend who lives in England told me about this site today and suggested I try it. Thank you for your advice!

I only have one more question: I started going back to the gym 3 weeks ago and have been using the eliptical machine (until my back started hurting from the car ride). I'm wondering if the treadmill would be better with the bad disks... I also did some weight machines to try to strengthen my back and arms. I guess my question is what type of exercise can I do in the gym without aggravating my disks.. I though maybe strengthening the muscles would be beneficially...The eliptical "didn't seem" to hurt my back at all.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can do the ellipticals as long as you do not feel any discomfort in doing it.
Doing a treadmill is a safe and effective option. You can discuss the exercises best for you with your physiotherapist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.