Tight chest, breathlessness, dizziness, headache, hands cold, shivering. Done fertility and thyroid test. Advice?

Hi there,

Ive had fertility tests done and have a high FSH of 12.8 but not sure what my LH levels were so am having them done again as we still havent concieved. Ive had an exploratory and have endometriosis.

I have regular heavy periods every 30 days until this month where Ive had spotting which started 17 days into my cycle and now its turned into a period and it has been a week and is still going.

I had a thyroid test done a yr ago and my Dr said it was ok although I feel very tired, knackered in fact. Going to bed at 9pm, sleeping until 6am.

I dont drink or smoke and walk twice a day with my dog and Im 119 pounds (5ft 3").
We want to have IVF (privately) but Im worried I have an underlying issue that none of the drs Ive seen seem to appreciate.

This last week or even more my chest has been tight and I have to breath really deeply, almost yawn to feel satified that I have enough breath in me. I have had a couple of dizzy instances but nothing in the last wk. I always seem to have a headache.

My temperature can be erratic also and I often wake up feeling cold and my hands and feet are constantly cold. I feel like I get the shivers all to often.

Im getting fed up and low in spirit now.
Can anyone give me some advice, please :-)
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 27 minutes later

Hello, I am happy to try and help you with this question.

So the symptoms that you are describing include:

1. breakthrough spotting
2. check tightness and breathing difficulty
3. dizziness
4. headaches
5. heat / cold intolerance

This is all in the setting of age 39, elevated FSH, and a history of endometriosis - just to summarize.

In terms of the attempts at conception, your age, endometriosis, and FSH are definitely issues, and it sounds like you are going to go through IVF which sounds like a decent idea. There are a combination of factors that are at play that are reducing your chance of conception and this will probably work for you. Regardless, though, you need to check a pregnancy test to make sure that this does not explain some of you symptoms.

With regard to you other symptoms, I know that you are thinking that this might be related to undiagnosed thyroid disease. If this has not been checked within the last 6 months, then it needs to be rechecked.

With regard to symptoms #2-4 above, though, this all might be normal, but it all might point to something else completely unrelated to fertility, such as heart disease, lung disease, etc. What you need to do is to go in to an XXXXXXX Medicine doctor and have the perform an exam and discuss testing to determine the cause of some of these other systemic symptoms that are hard to explain as a GYN cause since you have had an otherwise normal workup.

I am sorry that I cannot completely answer your question, but perhaps this gives you some direction. If you have more questions, please ask! Please don't forget to rate this question!!
Follow-up: Tight chest, breathlessness, dizziness, headache, hands cold, shivering. Done fertility and thyroid test. Advice? 1 hour later
Hello again,

I did a pregnancy test last week which was negative so that rules that out!
Can the thyroid, endo and high FSH be related. And is there anything I can take to stop the bleeding inbetween periods?
As Ive been feeling so crap I bought some Iron vitamins (18mg) which I had started to take to perk me up, but then this bleeding started after 3 days of taking them - is that related? I have stopped the vitamins although still bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later

The elevated FSH is related to a drop in ovarian function. It is unlikely that this is related directly to thyroid disease. With thyroid disease, you can have irregular cycles, but this is related to not ovulating, NOT related to a drop in ovarian reserve.

The endometriosis is completely unrelated to all of the above. It is related to endometrial cells from the lining of the uterus going to an area where they do not belong and causing pain with your cycles.

The bleeding between periods should be evaluated with an ultrasound to rule out polyps within the uterus. Otherwise, it usually is best controlled with birth control pills (which might not be your best choice if you are trying to get pregnant)

I don't believe that the vitamins are related to your abnormal bleeding. Abnormal uterine bleeding is likely related to either irregular ovulation or some anatomical changes, like polyps.

I hope this helps!