Ticklish sensation in stomach, fluttering above belly button. Not pregnant. Going for ultrasound. Suggestions?

I have a ticklish sensation in my stomach similar to how it feels when you are on a roller coaster and also have fluttering just above my belly button on the right side. It comes and goes but is more frequent if I am sitting. I elected COBRA but won't have coverage for another week or so at which time I can get an ultra sound. I am 47 and not likely pregnant. No pain associated with this at all. Just more of a tickle sensation.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
The mild ticklish or fluttering sensation near your belly button is likely to be a muscle twitch or fasciculation. This is small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.
You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels
Or all these could just be due to some anxiety or stress. In that case will disappear once you are stress free.
Taking supplements and electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids for few days might help in resolving your symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.