Tibia pain, pronated foot, pain not frequent. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm a 55 year old male and am in great shape. I routinely exercise and weight train. I didn't fall, twist, or injure my knee in any fashion. When I walk it hurts my tibia from the inside and front of my knee to about four or five inches down my tibia. The funny thing is, sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't. I have a nephew who's a foot surgeon and he says it could possible be something as simple as my foot being over pronated causing my knee to be out of alignment with my lower extremity. Your thoughts please. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 10 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The area you have described is where the Patellar tendon is located. May be your nephew is right because mal-aligned biomechanics of the knee have similar symptoms. But whether you pronate your foot excessively, knowingly or in subconsciously, needs clinical evaluation.

The other reason could be Epiphysitis of the insertion of patellar tendon, or early arthritic changes, inflammation of the anterior fat pad in the knee besides a variety of other conditions.

In my opinion, it looks like a harmless inflammation around your knee that will subside with rest, hot fomentation, local ointment and support with a crepe bandage. Avoid medication as far as possible. Use proper footware and avoid climbing stairs for a few days. If this does not subside have yourself clinically evaluated by your orthopaedician.

Hope this helps you understand the situation. If you need to undertand anything else, I'm available for follow up.

Good luck.