Tib Fib Fx and dislocated ankle. Recommended surgery. Can tib fib fx heal in cast?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Ortho question. I stepped off of a curb almost a month days ago. Tib Fib Fx, dislocated ankle. Reduction on ankle in Ortho office and splint. Recommended surgery for Fx. I have EXTREME Anxiety and do not want the surgery if I have an option. Can a tib fib fx heal in a cast? I am in a splint, I consulted PCP who said cast was no better than splint and there was a possibility of loosing the use of my leg without surgery for plate and screws. I am Totally Terrified of anesthesia. And I don't have insurance..
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A fracture of both the bones tibia and fibula is best if it is fixed internally with the help of surgery. Applying cast will not provide a long lasting reduction that is necessary for proper healing.
Non surgical treatment can cause malunion, non union and a chronic pain in the ankle joint. It is best to go ahead with the surgical treatment for best results.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Tib Fib Fx and dislocated ankle. Recommended surgery. Can tib fib fx heal in cast? 15 hours later
Thank you. I will contact Ortho for consult.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 hours later
You are most welcome.