Thyroids removed. Feeling discomfort while swallowing. Biopsy indicated suspicious cells. What could this be?

i am looking for an endocrinologist advice
I had my thyroids removed 5 years ago. in the last couple of days i have been experiencing discomfort when i swallow much like i did when i discovered i had issues with my thyroids which ended up in several nodules and after a biopsy that indicated suspicious cells, i had my thyroids removed.
I am feeling discomfort when i swallow as if something is stuck, also radiating down to my stomach. the back of my neck is sore and feeling a bid of pain (not much) on my back between my shoulder blades)
unfortunately my doctor is not available for an appt. and i leave town for vacation on tuesday. Any suggestions? what might be?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
It does not seem to be related to your thyroid, although no one can tell with certainty until an Ultrasound of your neck is done.

Ultrasounding your neck will allow visualization of the thyroid, if any was left behind or to see if there is re-growth of thyroid tissue, which can happen at times.
If there is no thyroid related mass such as reoccurrence of nodules, then you need to see your primary care for further evaluation. Typically ENT surgeons evaluate the neck to look for other potential causes of the symptoms you are experiencing.

If your complaints persist in the ensuing days, I reckon the best resort is to seek Urgent care or go to the ER, as your doctor is unavailable
Follow-up: Thyroids removed. Feeling discomfort while swallowing. Biopsy indicated suspicious cells. What could this be? 39 hours later
thank you! i also wanted to mention that i started taking antibiotics on thursday (Zitromax, Zpack) and i do feel a reduction on the swelling (for lack of better word) so is not as unconfortable to swallow but i still feel a bid of discomfort. I am also experiencing pain (scale from 1-10 a 4-5) on the back of my neck and between my shoulder blades.
any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 19 hours later
Seems quite unrelated to the thyroid. I recommend a follow up with your primary care provider