Thyroid test,hypothyroidism,weight gain,diet

thyroid test results were
TSH- 0.73mIU/L
Free thyroxine- 14.7pmol/L
free T3 -3.3pmol/L
Thyroid Antibodies
Thyroglobulin Antibody 248.8IU/mL

please could you explain these test results i currently take 125mg per day of thyroxine for hypothyroidism but feel no benefit i have gained enourmous amount of weight whilst dieting and excercising and experience all usual symptoms of the condition
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuj Sharma 21 hours later

Your report suggests something like an autoimmune type of hypothyroidism since thyroid antibody is high which means you have permanent and progressive nature of disease though your disease status is under control after taking 125micrograms of thyroxine since T4 /TSH is normal.

Weight gain, swelling and other symptoms of hypothyroid may persist or worsen inspite of normal thyroid report on treatment because obesity per se is usually associated with hypothyroidism; impaired glucose tolerance and/ or metabolic syndrome which requires apropriate management so you can consult your physician regarding this matter.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Thyroid test,hypothyroidism,weight gain,diet 3 hours later
thankyou what woud be your suggested treatment method for this are there an further tests or sugested medication that i should speak to my physician about i am particularly concerned about my weight gain whilst permenantly dieting and regular excersise
Answered by Dr. Manuj Sharma 6 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

In my opinion after looking for oral glucose tolerance test, lipid profile and blood pressure monitoring we can decide if any thing to be done for metabolic syndrome.

We can review nutritional management as per your calorie requirement and in perticular diet to avoid water retention to be decided.

At last I would like to suggest you ORLISTAT the only antiobesity drug available, for atleast 9-18 months provided no particular concern related to prescribing this drug.

I think with this background information you can consult your physician.

Hoping answered your query and good luck.