Thyroid test showed tsh 9.6. Taking medication. Blood test done after few days with normal range. Should I go for test again?

last week I have taken thyroid test and found t3, t4 was with in the range but tsh was out of the range, range of tsh is 9.6 and there after I have started taking medicine for tsh "thynorm" and this week again I have again taken new blood test for thyroid and now the readings of all three comes under the normal range (t3, t4 and tsh), now I would like to know from your side do I have to go for one more round of blood test for thyroid all three (t3, t4 and tsh)
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 12 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Since the thyroid hormones got within range after starting thyronorm, I will suggest that you continue on the same dose of thyronorm.

For now you do not need to repeat the tests, but you will need to regularly monitor the values to see if the condition is getting better or worse. You may monitor it every 6 - 12 months. You may go for an earlier test if you are getting symptoms of hypothyroidism (if condition gets worse) or hyperthyroidism (if condition gets better and the corresponding thyronorm dose is higher and produces the symptoms of hyperthyroidism).

Hope I answered your query.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee