Thyroid test showed elevated TSH level with normal T3 and T4 level. What does this indicate?

Sep 2012

Thanks.recently I got my thyroid test from two labs of repute and found tsh level as 7.8/8 respectively whereas in both reports my T3 and T4 are normal .regards XXXXXX
I will be sending email I'd is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 46 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, TSH is the hormone that stimulates thyroid gland for producing thyroxine hormones like T3 and T4. In hypothyroidism, primarily T3 and T4 levels decreases. But, body tries to normalize the T3 and T4 level by increasing the level of TSH.

In your case, the TSH level is increased with normal T3 and T4 level. It indicates hypothyroidism. We clinically take TSH level of 5 as a cut off value for declaring hypothyroidism.

But, you need to do an anti TPO antibody level estimation and if required clinically, an ultrasound scan of the thyroid region. These tests will help in excluding any serious thyroid disease conditions.

You have told that you are obese and hypertensive patient. In this situation, a hypothyroidism should not be neglected.

So, you have to start thyroxine supplement immediately to normalize the TSH level. You should start the drug in a very low dose first. Which should be increased step by step. In this course of treatment you have to do thyroid profiles every 1 or 2 months. The dose of the drug is generally adjusted from the TSH levels.

So, it will be better to consult with an endocrinologist in person for a detailed clinical examiination and for ordering necessary investigations and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.