Thyroid test done. What is this anti tpo antibody titire? How would it can be controlled?

I need information reg Thiroid. I took my wife for thiroid test. in that
T3 is 1.20 ng/mL
T4 is 9.50 ug/dL
TSH is 10.93 uIU/mL
ANTI TPO Anti body Titire is 3467.3 U/ml

I want to know wht is this Anti TPO Anti body titire. How would it can be controlled.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 8 hours later
What you are having is autoimmune thyroid disease,where the thyroid gland gets damaged by your own white blood cells called lymphocytes. Its a fairly common condition. The thyroid antibody merely says that your thyroid gland is affected by this process. The level of the thyroid antibody has no relationship with the degree of hypothyroidism. In fact, once the thyroid destruction is complete over 5 -10 years it may disappear. In the beginning stages of the thyroiditis, it may be present in high levels with either normal thyroid function or slightly deranged thyroid function.
Usually you don't need to repeat the anti TPO again. So the idea is to treat the low thyroid hormone levels and not the anti-thyroid antibody levels. For this, what we do is monitor the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone levels). Your endocrinologist will probably start you on thyroid hormone and after 2 months check your TSH which should come down to 0.5-2.5 .
Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
Follow-up: Thyroid test done. What is this anti tpo antibody titire? How would it can be controlled? 11 hours later
Hi Dr. Anantharaman
Thanks for the early response. Doctor suggested Thitobuild 50mg. and I want to know the current status of thiroid is at higher state.
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 1 hour later

The suggestion of your doctor is appropriate.

What your wife has is known as mild hypothyroidism, it may or may not progress to overt hypothyroidism. We will know if she is progressing or not based on the TSH value, which will be tested periodically.

In any case, she should be fine because what it would mean is that she has to take a higher dose of thyobuild.