Thyroid removed. Developed digestive and reflux problems woth pain on side. CT scan done. Concerned

Oncologist, Surgical
Hello, I am a 44 yr old female, and generally in good health. I eat well, am not overweight, am at the health food shop a lot. Anyway, apart from that, I recently had my thyroid removed due to what turned out to be a cancerous lump. All was contained, and removed, and life goes on. During the stress, I developed pain in my left side, with definite digestive and reflux problems. I have had a CT scan last week to eleviate my concern. I have just been called back to see the doctor, but can't get in till tomorrow. I am freaking out this is another cancer scare. Could this be something harmless on a CT scan? Very worried, and need to sleep tonight. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 44 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Thyroid cancer is a relatively slow growing cancer and it cannot recur within a month, if all the margins were negative during surgery. Did you have a CT scan or a thyroid scan? A thyroid scan is usually done after a month of thyroid surgery to check whether there are any metastasis or not. In your case as you mentioned that the tumor was contained, it is unlikely that the scan would pick up anything.
Your reflux problems can be due to increased weight and for that you can take an antacid or a proton pump inhibitor. Also taking small, frequent meals helps with reflux problems.
The doctor will also start you on thyroxine tablets soon as the whole gland has been removed and your body will be deficient in thyroid hormones. Once you start thyroxine, your weight will also come down a little.

Hoping the scan turns out to be normal. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Follow-up: Thyroid removed. Developed digestive and reflux problems woth pain on side. CT scan done. Concerned 16 hours later
I did fail to state that the ct scan was in my abdomen as i had a lot of left side pain before and during my anxiety with the cancer issue over the last two months. Most pain has subsided, and was looking for reason that the doctor might call me back to discuss, and hoping there are other reasons other than a lump found??
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for sharing the information with me. From your symptoms it seems unlikely that there will be a lump in your abdomen but the CT report might be able to tell us more about the cause of your pain.

You should fix up an appointment with your doctor to discuss the CT and the further course of management.

Hope everything turns out to be normal.