Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency

Is Maca ok to take with slight under active thyroid? On thyroxine and last tsh level came in range. Also trying to conceive with no luck so far, negatives on ovulation predictor kits, menstrual cycles regular but very light which has been unusual for some time. Dr won't refer until tsh level stabilises which could take months. I think there may be underlying cause of under active thyroid such as other hormone deficiencies and maybe treating naturally to balance them will help. I am 28 female, 5ft 2inch and 7st 6 lbs.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later

Maca has not been reported in scientific literature to have any bearing on thyroid function. I am not aware of any published work of studies supporting its use for improving thyroid status.

Subfertility or difficulty conceiving is one of many possible consequences of thyroid problems (both overactive and underactive). However once the TSH is in the range of normal, it is most unlikely that reproductive derangement's occur. It is also important to ascertain if you truly have hypothyroidism, be it is subclinical or overt. Such a determination is best made by an endocrinologist who will run appropriate tests such as thyroid peroxidase antibodies etc , in addition to detailed clinical evaluation.

If you certainly have an underactive thyroid from one of the most common causes ie Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an auto-immune condition, then there is a likelihood of other auto-immune disorders to be concomitantly present. Some examples are premature ovarian failure, adrenal insufficiency and type 1 diabetes. All this requires a careful assessment by an endocrinologist.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency 5 hours later
Hi Dr, I have been tested for thyroid peroxidase and the result is that the antibodies are present but in the borderline range. I have tried to get the dr to refer me to a specialist but he wants the tsh to stabilise first. Should I insist or ask for other blood tests? My first blood test was thorough and concluded no diabetes, potassium 3.9mmol/l haemolysed, interpret with care, liver results in range, blood cells in range, b12, folate & ferritin in range, fsh, lh & progesterone in range at luteal stage, tsh 7.99, t4 15pmol/l. Further tests have only been for tsh with last months at 1.52. Next blood test is on Friday.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 17 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

The initial TSH was abnormal. This can sometimes be a temporary problem and may normalize by itself within a few months. However, in the context of positive thyroid antibodies, this can typically represent Hashimoto's thyroiditis, requiring life long replacement with thyroid hormone. Hence in this situation, treatment is considered appropriate and beneficial.

Once TSh is stable for a couple normal test over a period of 3-4 months, it is unlikely to interfere with reproductive function and other causes are worth pursuing.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.