Thyroid operation, scar now weeping. Suggestion?

hi had thyroid operation two years ago but my scar is now weeping doctor said smethig about kaline fluid what is this
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Can you clarify that "kaline" is the correct spelling of exactly what your physician told you?

Beyond that, what I think is likely going on in your case is a collection of benign fluid in and around the scar. This can happen and the time course is generally not very predictable. As long as you do not have any tenderness, redness, fever or chills this is not a major concern.

Now, if this is causing you some distress or is cosmetically a problem for you then it is conceivable to do an ultrasound with a needle drainage of any fluid that has accumulated behind the scar itself. In addition it is very important to keep the area around the scar moisturized. I generally recommend a vitamin-E containing cream which usually works well.

I thank you again for submitting your query. If you have additional followups related to your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga