Thyroid goiter has been removed surgically. On synthroid. What are the findings?

Hello. I had a thyroid goiter that was surgically removed. My question is, my thyroxine level is 0.9. My TSH is 2.85. Souls I be started on synthroid? My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Normal TSH and T4 levels can vary slightly from lab to lab due to different laboratory techniques but in general the normal range for TSH is approximately 0.4-4.2 mIU/l.

The normal free T4 level is approximately 0.7- 1.8 ng/dl (9-23 pmol/l).

Both of your values are within their respective ranges ( your lab form may state the lab ranges for the particular lab that your sample was sent to).

Since both values are normal, it is unlikely that hormone replacement would be required at this time.

If you were hypothyroid (low thyroid hormone), the thyroxine level would decrease below the normal range and the TSH would be high.

TSH is released from the brain and it stimulates the thyroid gland to release thyroxine.
The thyroxine then stops the gland in the brain from releasing any more TSH (called negative feedback)

This is the reason a low thyroxine level would result in a high TSH. There is not enough thyroxine going back into the brain to prevent TSH release.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Thyroid goiter has been removed surgically. On synthroid. What are the findings? 5 minutes later
If my thyroid levels are within normal range, then why is my hair falling out and my weight keeps elevating
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later

You can ask your doctor to review your previous thyroid function levels to see if there is a significant change.
For example if your thyroid hormone level was previously 1.6 and is now 0.9, even though it is still within the normal range , it is low for you.
If there is no significant changes then your doctor may look for other causes of your hair loss and weight gain.

There are other possible causes for both of these problems

Please feel free to ask any other questions