Thyroid function test done. What are the findings in the report and treatment required?

Sep 2012

my question is regarding thyroid function test shows as on 4th feb 2013 isFree T4 as 13.4, Free T3, serum : 4.1, Sensitive TSH, serum : 12.720.
My Fress T4 was 12.4, Free T3, serum 4.6 and TSH in XXXXXXX 2012 was 16.920.
My TSH has gone down without any medicine.

my email id is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, thyroid function should be done after overnight fasting, in morning. If you did not follow this, you must have to do a repeat test at the recommended time.

Some other factors like psychological stress may also have some effect on this test. If you are taking any thyroxine group of drug, you must have this reduction in the TSH value.

So, before interpreting the report, I have to know the actual situation.

So, tell me have you followed the recommended timing of the test? And have you taken any thyroxine group of drug?

You can send the answers as follow up question.

Follow-up: Thyroid function test done. What are the findings in the report and treatment required? 28 minutes later

Yes, at both the times I had kept 12 hr fasting ( only had plain water). Plus I have never taken any medication for thyroid till date. In last one year I have tried relaxation techniques, taken no extra medicine & increased my physical activities.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 9 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, in that case, I think the variation is only physiological. It may occur depending upon your regular physical works.

But I am wondering why you are not taking any medicine. Because, this disease may aggravate and lead to any other critical situation.

It is better to start the thyroxine group of drug depending upon your clinical profile.

You may consult with your treating doctor or endocrinologist for dosing.

Hope you have your answers.