Thyroid bloodwork done. What does the report suggest?

I have had thyroid bloodwork done. I am positive for antimicrosomal antibodies. My free thyroxine was at the upper limits of normal, the other levels were normal. I have been losing large amounts of hair and do not feel well. My mother has lupus, takes synthroid for low thyroid due to removal of part of the gland.. one of my sons who is 35 has hashimotos. What other, if any, tests should I have done, and what do you think might be going on with my thyroid?
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

In your case in addition to blood work up, ultrasonography and radioactive iodine uptake and scan can prove helpful.

1. Ultrasound is not used for diagnosing Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but it is useful in assessing thyroid size, echo texture and the presence of thyroid nodules.
2. Radioactive iodine uptake and scan are used to differentiate a nodule as hot or cold. A cold thyroid nodule would indicate a higher risk for malignancy and would need a fine needle aspiration biopsy.

Presence of antimicrosomal antibody represents autoimmune disease - body’s immune system attacks your own organs. In your case thyroid is being attacked by your immune system.

Once results of investigations are available, your doctor can plan an appropriate treatment.

This cannot be completely cured, but can be well managed. And long term treatment is generally needed.

Hope this answers your questions.