Thumb was in cast. Developed a blister. What should I do now?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My thumb has been in a cast for 3 weeks since I broke it and the Doctor manipulated it back into place. My thumb pad since shortly after that feels as if it has a blister on it. Over time the perceived blister feeling extends from below the thumb joint up to the top of the thumb pad. The bone broke at about the nail line.Also on the knuckle side of the thumb there is irritation on the the skin on both the left and right sides of the knuckle
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 46 minutes later

I have gone through the xray film attached. It shows fracture distal phalynx of thumb. After reduction of fracture immobilization in cast is usually required for 3 weeks.
Slight discomfort is common inside plaster cast. But if you feel blister like feeling and irritation inside plaster cast , it could be due to plaster sore(complication of plaster cast).

So I suggest you to get it evaluated by your doctor. He or she may advise for removal of cast to check for any plaster sore.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Follow-up: Thumb was in cast. Developed a blister. What should I do now? 44 hours later
It's not a plaster cast. Of greater concern per my question is the thumb pad. The blister like feeling started out as maybe the size of my pinky pad. It now feels like it extends from below my thumb joint to almost the entire thumb tip, and on both sides, left and right almost to the thumbnail. When I lightly flex the thumb it seems as if it is fluid filled. Sometimes the aforementioned fluid seems to fill the thumb pad, at other times as if it's not under pressure
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Hi ,

From description it seems collection of fluid over your thumb pad is due to irritation of soft tissue or due to vascular cause. A direct examination of the affected area and if needed an ultrasound scan is required to identify the cause.

I think the best approach in this circumstance is to see your doctor and get the affected area examined.

Hope this will help you.