Thumb is very sore at the base and noticed swollen blood vessels. How to get relief from this?

thank you. My right thumb is very sore at the base and the blood vessels are very swollen as well. I'm a writer and cannot use a pen - have to use a keyboaord?
It has been like this for a few months and is now starting up in my left thumb.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 3 hours later

This could be a condition called osteoarthritis of the first carpo- metacarpal joint.

Since you have already undergone replacement of the knee due to knee osteoarthritis, this is the most likely cause.

As you know, osteoarthritis is to some extent related to wear and tear of joints and I am sure you use your hands a lot since you are a writer.

Some medicines like glucosamine and diacerin may benefit but the exact benefit may be small. You may try over the counter analgesics when in severe pain. Topical NSAID ointments may give some relief too.

Physical exercises for the hands and local measures like hot fomentation or cool packs are also beneficial. I hope you are taking calcium supplements as well.

Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.