Thumb is aching. Developed a ridge in nail and is red under the nail. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am a60 year old woman never had any nail problems do not take any medications over the last 2 months my thumb has ached not the thumb area but the bone but not all the time now in the last 3 weeks or so i have developed a ridge in the nail it is red under the nail it also hurts not when you push on it with your flat finger but if something like the edge of the fingernail pushes on it it is a pain like electricity it is not noticeable until you show it to someone of course no one has ever seen anything like it not sure whether to worry or not
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be an infection. Needs prompt treatment.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to an infection in the nail bed or a foreign body in the area. Since there is an excruciating pain in the area sometimes, it needs a physical examination and proper treatment with systemic antibiotics.
Right now you can take a mild pain killer and do a hot fomentation in the area to decrease the pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.