Thumb got pressed in car door and having blood clot. Have to remove or the nail will come out automatically?

On Monday(21st October) my right hand thumb got pressed in the car door, and there is blodd clot in the nail. Yesterday I visited a doctor, he removed a bit of clot by pressing it and advised me to remove the nail but I am not sure if I have to remove or the nail will comeout automatically? Please advise me on this.
I am taking Clavam 625 and Zerodol P for medication(since monday).
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depending on the amount of injury...

Detailed Answer:

If the nail has not split or if you are not in severe pain, I would suggest you to wait and observe.

Usually the affected area - subungal hematoma is only partial (not covering the entire nail) you may leave it alone. I would only plan to remove the nail if the nail is spit from the rest or if you are at risk of infecting it. You may wait and watch. Mostly the affected area would become brittle and can be easily broken / removed as you cut your nails later.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.