Throbbing pain in the ear with discharge

ENT Specialist
earsI am a female age 16 I have an earache and it hurts me to lay down I'm in pain and I wanna cry I've had drainage and my ears have been in throbbing pain
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your ear ache (otalgia) is due to an ear infection (otitis) , sometimes with mastoiditis. The throbbing pain is as bad as dental pain. Do you have fever? Did you have a recent cold? How is your hearing? Is this the first time? Have you had any recent ear piercing? Do you have any vertigo (dizziness)?

2. Is your ear discharge colorless or purulent? If it is muco-purulent, the discharge usually arises from the middle ear.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your ears. The ear discharge can be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

4. Since the pain is so severe, throbbing and hurts when you lie down, you should seek immediate medical attention.

5. You may require ear cleaning, antibiotics, medicated ear drops (sometimes antifungal), pain killers, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision.

6. You can expect prompt relief with medication.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.