Throbbing pain in right eye. Had lens implants to correct cataracts. What could be causing this?

Nephrologist
Question
i have a constant throbbing pain in my right eye.. which i often get a stabbing hot pain inside my right eye. i had lens implants to correct catarcs 25 years ago.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I dont think the lens implant done has anything to do with it however to be sure I need to know a few more details in order to come to a better conclusion 1. Is your eye red? Always tearing? Itchy? 2. Have you noticed any change in vision of your right eye? 3. Have you taken painkillers for the pain? Did it help? 4. Any reason for you to develop an early cataract? Like steroid therapy? Congenital cataract? etc 5. Please give me your medical history if you have any? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards

Follow-up: Throbbing pain in right eye. Had lens implants to correct cataracts. What could be causing this? 3 hours later
1. Is your eye red? Always tearing? Itchy? No, No and no.. 2. Have you noticed any change in vision of your right eye? the vision in that eye went downhill a few years ago when the back of my eye was swollen and the eye drops the dr gave me.. no clue now what they were.. burned my cornea.. so i now have little blisters all over my cornea.. which I am supposed to be having a corneal transplant in the near future.. and at that time he will also replace the lens.. 3. Have you taken painkillers for the pain? Did it help? Tylenol.. and no.. it doesn't help.. 4. Any reason for you to develop an early cataract? Like steroid therapy? Congenital cataract? etc there is a family history of cataracts.. its hereditary. 5. Please give me your medical history if you have any? i know my lens is not causing my pain.. but I would love to know what is.. right now i have a sharp pain in my right eye that is causing it to close. i can hardly see out of my right eye anymore.. i see shapes.. and thats about it.. there are days that is is much clearer then others.. and i can actually see.. those are the days i usually have my specialist appts.. i am not sure what other info you want..

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Cornea is the cause for the pain Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the detailed reply The cause for the pain is the cornea. Even slight abrasions over the cornea leads to severe pain. The problem with corneal pain is that cornea is a avascular structure which means that there isnt any blood supplying to the cornea which is why most pain medications dont work. Here is what I suggest to you 1. Corneal transplantation is the only permanent solution for you 2. Do not wear contacts, do not rub your eye and make sure you wear sun glasses in the sun 3 . Temporary patching of the eye also gives a lot of symptomatic relief but cosmetically it might not be very appealing to the patients 4. Topical analgesics like diclofenac has given good results, please visit your doctor with my suggestion. Oral painkillers are of little value. I hope I was of help, please get back to me if you have any further ones I wish you good health Regards