Throbbing pain in finger. Ultrasound of ulnar nerve clear. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For 18 months I have had a throbbing pain in my left ring finger which is also painful to touch on the right side of the top of the finger, like a painful bruise. The finger has also clubbed. I have had MRI of neck and elbow to look for pinched nerves. X XXXXXXX of the finger and hand, ultra sound of Ulner nerve and all came back clear. Its extremely painful. Any ideas what could be causing this ?
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The pain you are having in the ring finger could be related to a tendonitis or a nerve related cause. Since the MRI of neck and elbow did not reveal any nerve compression, an MRI of the wrist might be helpful in detecting the exact cause.
If there is no restriction of any movement of the finger then a tendon inflammation is not likely. For the nerve related pains, usually the treatment includes pregabalin or gabapentin along with methylcobalamin supplements. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed after consulting a neurologst.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.