Throbbing pain in back of left leg. Hurting to stand. Could this be thrombosis?

Excellent

Question
I have a throbbing pain in the back of my left leg, it hurts when I stand , but less when I sit it is no a charly horse. it has been like this for over 12 hours and getting worse. I have a throbbing pain in the back of my left leg, it has been like this for about 12 hours, it hurst less when I sit , painful most when I stand. not a charly horse.. could this be a thrombosis. do I need to go to emergency room
I have paid the 15 what next
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to be worried for now if no family history of deep vein thrombosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is important to know if you have had any traumatic injury, or assumed any stressful or inappropriate position with stress in the back of your leg. If that s not the case, the second aspect to consider is whether you experience any swelling of the back of the leg, or any differences in the sizes of your two legs. In case there is no swelling, and the two legs are the same, with no color change at the level of the skin, it might be difficult to think of deep vein thrombosis.

My suggestion is that you just elevate your legs, maybe a double pillow setting and observe. After a rest of 24 hours, persistence of pain should prompt a medical consultation.

Otherwise, if you have a history or family history of deep veinous thrombosis, it would be advisable to get an emergency evaluation, though from this clinical scenario, it should be rarely it, but its possible,. If not (no personal or family history of thrombosis), I would suggest you stay calm, elevate lower limbs and take a mild analgesic like Acetaminophen for a couple of days. Is symptoms do persist, you can then see a doctor. If not, you need not worry for now.

Feel free asking follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Throbbing pain in back of left leg. Hurting to stand. Could this be thrombosis? 21 minutes later
thank You , I will follow your direction., I feel better to know that it is not likely DVT>>>

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Be calm for now, but we remain watchful

Detailed Answer:
No worries for now, but we remain watchful.

Kind regards

Follow-up: Throbbing pain in back of left leg. Hurting to stand. Could this be thrombosis? 20 hours later
Dr. Bain
as a follow through, this pain I have is very strange indeed. I had no pain at all during the night, the minute I stood up it returned. as long as I am sitting or laying down, there is no pain, once on my feet .it is a numbing aching feeling that does not let up. I did some research and maybe it is a sciatic nerve? affect if that is o, is there any treatment to relive pain?
thank you

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid the pain really does not present really as sciatic pain. Sciatic pain is generally elicited by moving at the back, change in back or spine position, pain throughout the back of the lower limb, pain and some kind of electric discharges. In some persons, intense, pain, weakness of the limb, numbness. It would be very improbable in your case.

I do suggest at this point a massage with use of topical anti inflammatory agents (Diclofenac) topical cream for a couple for days. I see this like a mechanical pain that should fade out in a few days.

If this fails, a further and more in depth clinical examination might then be required. At this point, a massage, topical anti inflammatory cream and resting the leg should be tried out.

In case you experience swelling, intensification of pain or any other unusual signs, do not hesitate consulting a physician urgently. thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have specific concerns. I shall be glad contributing to your well being. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Throbbing pain in back of left leg. Hurting to stand. Could this be thrombosis? 10 minutes later
thank you so much for quick response and guidance>> gratitude!

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you too

Detailed Answer:
Thanks too and do not hesitate asking or sharing any specific concerns. I would be glad to offer my best.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Throbbing pain in back of left leg. Hurting to stand. Could this be thrombosis? 1 hour later
Dr. Bain
One more clue~ I have been taking a cholesterol medication called atorvastatin for the past 90 days. I read that one of the side effects was muscle pain, muscle damage. I have never taken this in the past. Cholesterol is under control.
perhaps I should cease taking. what do you think?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not stop your medication as yet.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do not think this should arise from the medication. If it were the case, even at rest, you should have been also experiencing the same amount of pain. Drug induced muscle damage causes an inflammation, which produces pain not actually sensitive or responsive to position.

My opinion is that you continue taking your drug as usual. I am afraid for sure it causes muscle pain and damage in some patients, but this scenario (your case), to me, should not be due to the drug, at least for now.

Thanks and hope this helps. Kind regards. waiting for further questions or concerns if any.

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Throbbing pain in back of left leg. Hurting to stand. Could this be thrombosis? 9 minutes later
Wow! you are the best!

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you too

Detailed Answer:
Thanks so much and wishing you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD